A question about a recipe: Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit

112309f_425

I have a question about the recipe "Cider-Braised Pork Shoulder with Caramelized Onion and Apple Confit" from TasteFood. The recipe calls for a 2 1/2lb pork butt, but mine is 4lb. How long should I increase the cook time?

asked by juliunruly 6 months ago
Photo_squirrel

If I were doing it, i would double all the other ingreds so that i had enough (and maybe extra) sauce; and i would up the cooking time by 1/2; check it then, and continue cooking til it easily comes apart. I would double check the cooking time by doing a search for Pork Shoulder in 52 or google, and find a braised 4 lb recipe and see how long they cook it.

Bigpan

Depending on the size and shape of the meat; the actual temperature of your oven and whether you want to cook slow-and-low or not - I would invest in a good instant read thermometer and cook it until 160-165F in the middle. Any higher you might tend to dry the meat out.

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

There are many comments for this popular recipe that others have shared their changes based on a bigger pork butt. For example, CarlaCooks commented "I made this for a dinner party last night and it received rave reviews! The flavors are so well balanced: sweet, savory, and rich. Because I was feeding 7 people, I used a cut closer to 4 pounds. I doubled the onions, apples, and garlic, though only used 1.5 x the liquid (I was afraid of the liquid overflowing from my dutch oven). I didn't have any Calvados, so I used cognac. I had it in the oven for about 5 hours and it came out perfect! For serving, I partially shredded the meat, put it on a platter, and spooned the confit/sauce over it. Thanks for a lovely dish, TasteFood!"

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_