🔔
🔎

B0e51b35-a002-4fdd-adc2-f06fa947184e.baci1

What kind of rice do you want to cook?

The main rice in my home is long grain white rice, called jasmine rice, the brand "3 Ladies". For most long grain white rice, I use 1 cup water per 1 cup rice. It seems to be the magic ratio for this type of rice. I have a rice cooker, so it's just a touch of a button and voila, I have hot perfectly cooked rice. Without the cooker, I can cook my rice on the stovetop. Same water/rice ratio. Bring the water to a boil then let simmer. Don't stir, just let it gently boil/simmer. When the water is just below the level of the top of the rice, put the lid on and turn down the heat to the lowest it can go. Leave it alone for about 10 minutes. Take off the lid, check a few grains to doneness. Should be tender and not al dente. If it's done to your liking, take the pot off the heat and fluff with a pair of chopsticks or a fork. If the rice is still hard, add about 2Tb water, mix it into the rice, cover and gently cook for another 5-10 minutes. Repeat as needed until the rice is cooked, but not mushy.

Forgot to add, the above instructions is for white rice (mostly). Brown rice and others have different water ratios and cooking times. And I've never been able to make perfect brown rice.

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

Above answer is perfect, but if I may reiterate, get a rice maker, it'll change your life. Also, for long grain rice, briefly "toast" the dry rice in a hot pan before cooking in water. A trick many Afghans use.

I've been using a method for long grain white rice adapted from Roberto SantibaƱez's Truly Mexican. It has been incredibly reliable at producing fluffy, well-cooked rice:

Saute 1 c rice in a heavy pot over medium heat in a bit of oil or butter until translucent (a few minutes). Add 2 cups water and 1/4 tsp salt, bring to a boil over high heat. Boil uncovered (adjust heat so it bubbles vigorously but not violently) until the top of the rice is just visible -- this should take about 5 minutes. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Turn heat off, remove cover, cover pot with a cloth such as a dishtowel or napkin, and replace lid over cloth. Leave for 10 min, then fluff rice and serve.

For short grain brown rice, I use about 1 2/3 c water to one cup rice. Bring to a boil uncovered, then immediately cover and turn heat to low, so the rice barely simmers. The water should be absorbed and the rice cooked about 45 min later (this varies a bit). A 5 min rest with the heat off usually improves the texture.

9f77ddef-4796-4168-b31f-62700f81d219.patty_marguet

i never measure / always rinse well / pour it into a glazed baking dish with a glass lid / sprinkle with salt / cover with cool water 1/2" above the rice / bake at 400? for 45min.-1hr until all of the water is absorbed / remove the lid so the steam escapes / after about 10-15min. fluff / fluff again in another 10min / serve

3_kinds_of_rice

5898788c-7208-4473-a88f-a3f4bbe64a0b.img_1339

I cook my rice Iranian-style. It comes out perfect every time and takes the guess work out of water-to-rice ratio and the cooking time. You can follow steps 4&5 in a rice dish I posted a while back (see the link below). Feel free to use or leave out the recommended potato crust.
http://food52.com/recipes...

In the case of brown rice- I found somewhere on the web a fool proof and easy way to cook it perfect every time.
No need to measure anything, only put a timer on.
Rinse, dump into your pot, add A LOT of water - more than you think - an then some (I basically fill the pot up. I add oil and salt/pepper, bay leaf.
Bring up to a boil - and bring down to a little more than a simmer. It should be bubbling the whole time, not too hard though.
At that point set timer for 30 minutes.
At 30 minutes turn off heat, drain off water while you count to 10.
Cover pot and let sit and steam for at least 10 minutes.
Fluff and enjoy perfect rice with little fuss.

Soak1 cup of the long grain rice in water for 10 minutes. Boil 8 cups of water in a large vessel like how you would for pasta & cook the rice for 5 mins & drain the water & fluff the rice with fork gently after 10 mins.