A question about a recipe: Nigel Slater's Really Good Spaghetti Bolognese

Nigel_bolognese

I have a question about the recipe "Nigel Slater's Really Good Spaghetti Bolognese" from Genius Recipes. This recipe looks fabulous. I have one question. Where it calls for stock, can you tell me what kind of stock you are referring to? I can't wait to make this! Thank you.

asked by babs1225 5 months ago

I made it last night and I used chicken stock. Came out delicious.

Thank you Kerstin. I will be making it this weekend. Can't wait!

Img00019-20100929-0432_1_

The Food52 editor responded in the comments, "We used chicken stock because it's what we had, but beef would be great too." However, one of my old cookbooks from Nigel Slater calls specifically for vegetable stock. I'm sure all work well.

I used vegetable stock when I made this last night and it turned out great. I think chicken stock would work fine, but I would be hesitant to use beef stock. This recipe is really rich and meaty tasting as it is, so I think using beef stock would make it just a bit too rich and meaty tasting. Just my feeling.

Traditionally for bolognese you would use veal stock. And of course in Bologna they've never heard of "portobello" mushrooms as it's strictly an American marketing name for the common brown mushroom. If mushrooms were to be used at all (which is far from a certainty) porcini would be the most likely.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet