A recipe calls for Vin Santo wine and I can't find it. I have Madeira, Marsala, Ice Wine or Tawny Port. Would any of those work?

I'm attempting a prune filled gnocchi with a foie gras sauce (Barbara Lynch), the base of the sauce is the reduced Vin Santo wine. Any thoughts on replacement wine?

asked by Leah Haydock 6 months ago

My Google search results all suggest using Royal Tokaji instead (Hungarian). What do you have in your cupboard? Are you only using a cup or so of the alcohol? I don't see how you could go far wrong with Madeira, Marsala or Port unless you were using a large amount to braise a huge cut of beef or lamb, etc. Sounds delicious.

Hmm - I don't have Royal Tokaji :( It's 2 cups that you reduce to 1/4 cup - maybe I'll do a mix of madeira and marsala? Thank you!

I'd think any of those would work just fine. Most of the alcohol will be cooked off and you want the deep grape-sediment taste that remains. So any of those should be good. Sounds delicious. Bon appetit!

3-bizcard

Vin santo is quite sweet so is ice wine in my experience. If your ice wine is sweet IMHO it would be a good sub,

Wickedgood

The only times I've had Vin Santo was as a dipping liquid for cantucci in Florence. So, yes, as another commenter said, it's most commonly seen as a sweet dessert wine. Sometimes, however, it can be drier and closer to sherry. I think your back-up choices listed would all do fine, but you should go by the specific taste and not the type in each bottle. In other words, anything you can imagine dipping a biscotto in would be fine.

Please do not ruin a delicate ice wine by cooking it! Not all vin santo is sweet, and you should be fine with marsala or madeira.

Sorry, I hit the return before I finished. I also think you could use a sherry to substitute. A wine other than vin santo won't ruin the dish--it may give it a slightly different flavor, but that isn't so bad.