🔔
🔎

was thinking about making cranbury sauce for christmas diner. Is it easy to make and does it keep well?

asked by @jimmyjoe007 about 4 years ago

It's really easy to make--you can just cook down the cranberries with water, sugar and flavorings--and it keeps in the refrigerator for several days at least. Here are a bunch of recipes:

Dsc_0048b

It's very easy to make as drbabs says. You can also jazz it up a bit like this:

Dsc_0048b

sorry - forgot the link:

I made this and a simple one with just cardamom for Thanskgiving and we have been enjoying the leftovers since.

Halloween

oh yah- it seems to keep for a lonng time in the fridge. All that sugar. :) I always enjoy a real standard recipe (cran, sugar (I always cut it down from whatever the recipes call for), water)- then afterwards, make some curried turkey salad, and add some harissa to the leftover cranberry sauce. Mmmmm.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Very easy to make. I keep going back to the recipe for a raw sauce that shows up on Ocean Spray berry bags. It is cranberries and a whole orange chopped fine in a food processor with sugar to taste added, and some chopped pecans. It keeps for several days, although I like it best made 4 to 8 hours ahead of time. It'll be crunchy and tangy and a nice contrast to most of what tends to show up on the holiday table.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I made three different ones at Thanksgiving, all from food52, and this was by far my favorite: http://www.food52.com/recipes.... The one posted by healthierkitchen was good, but it needed about a week before it tasted really good. Ellenl's tasted great the next day, and then just got better and better. It was unbelievably tasty after five days. In fact, I bought another bag of cranberries the other day, so I can make myself a batch. Cranberry sauce, if refrigerated well, will keep for at least a week, or longer. It will taste different though after the flavors have had a chance to merge. ;o)

I cook the hell out of mine and between the sugar and the natural preservatives in teh cranberries, it keeps for damn near forever...

Gator_cake

I just finished off the last of the cranberry sauce I made for Thanksgiving a couple of days ago, still completely delicious!

As others said, it will keep forever in the fridge, Most bags of fresh cranberries have a basic recipe on the back of them. That's a good start. For just the most basic, I usually throw in some Gran Marnier or other orange liquer while it's cooking. Cranberries and orange are a natural pair. I've made (and enjoyed) a cranberry sauce that had shallots that had been caramelized in a hot oven and some fresh herbs (thyme, maybe a bit of rosemary, a small bit) and some wine vinegar thrown in at the last minute. The possibilities are really endless, and totally to your taste. Orange flavors though is a good place to start.