🔎

• 8

• 934

I have a (shortbread-like, "biscochitos") cookie recipe that calls for white wine or brandy, can someone clue me in on what purpose the alcohol might serve? Texture, flavor, both?

Gaby_by_sarah
Gator_cake

I think it's to add flavor. See this site: http://gabrielaskitchen...

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

Hee hee, that's Gabriela's blog! I agree, i think it's for the flavor. And also, it could be used as the liquid ingredient, depending on what cookie recipe it is.

Gator_cake

that's hilarious!! I didn't even pay attention. It is the liquid ingredient in most of the biscochitos recipes I found, though some just use water.

Halloween
iuzzini added over 3 years ago

I think alcohol can also reduce gluten formation in dough (though I don't know how high the proof needs to be for this to happen)so it may help to keep the bischochitos nice and tender/flaky etc . . .- there's a vodka pie dough i recently came across (http://www.thekitchn.com...) which my friend brought to us over Thanksgiving- it was definitely delish but I didn't notice anything particularly different about the crust (in flavor or texture) . . .

Gator_cake

iuzzini.....that vodka pie crust recipe is awesome! You can get the pie crust wetter than otherwise so I find it easier to work with & repairing tears is a dream. It bakes up perfectly flaky and tender. I have not gone back to using other pie crust recipes since I started using that one, though next time I make a coconut cream pie I'm going to use coconut rum instead of vodka. I even use 1/2 vodka 1/2 water when I make lorinarlock's delicious butternut squash galette crust.

Me_by_barbara_tyroler
Nora added over 3 years ago

A new use for vodka! Who knew? My husband's the pie baker in our house. I'll pass this along.

Gaby_by_sarah
gabrielaskitchen added over 3 years ago

Thanks everyone! It definitely adds flavor, I was very curious about the science behind it and whether or not it aided in keeping the cookies tender/flakey as @iuzzini mentioned (although I'm sure the lard in my recipe helps too). And now that I hear about the vodka crust I wonder if it's also to help the dough from tearing when rolled out? hmmmm...thanks foodpicklers!

Gator_cake

I don't have much trouble with tearing using the vodka crust, and if it does tear, you can just mush it back together. I cannot gush enough about how I love that crust! I don't think white wine would be high enough proof to appreciably affect the tenderness of your cookies, it's the lard for sure.