A question about a recipe: Grandma DiLaura's Italian Ricotta Gnocchi

032911f_429

I have a question about the recipe "Grandma DiLaura's Italian Ricotta Gnocchi" from cdilaura. I cooked the gnocchis according to instructions, letting the, come back up to the surface of the water. But they felt a little like undercooked dough. It that normal or is there a reason for this. I imagine the texture is a little different than the potatoe based gnocchis.

asked by Dominique 6 months ago
6511779961_8816e7c315_m
cdilaura

Christina is the Vice President of Commerce Operations for Provisions by Food52.

Hi Dominique,

Since these are made with ricotta instead of potato they will feel lighter and more tender than the denser potato version. Once they've floated to the top they are done cooking and ready to be scooped out into your bowl. If you felt the consistency was undercooked, you could let them hang out at the surface for another 30-60 seconds and see if you prefer them after that test.

Also, one thing that may impact this is the consistency of the dough. Was the dough still sticky when you rolled them or was it nice and smooth after kneading in more flour? If it was on the sticky / wet side, perhaps you could try kneading in more flour and see if that helps as well.

Christina

Thank you very much ! I will pay attention to the consistency of the dough.

If you are seeking absolute perfection and are crazy like many of us are, maybe you can also pause in your kneading process - make a few gnocchi, cook them, and proceed or stop with kneading as you evaluate your results. Probably easy to do this as cooking gnocchi is such a speedy process!