🔔
🔎

I added too much citrus to my butter chicken. I've added honey. Now it's tart and sweet but not delicious. Is it ruined?

asked by @stephjkeogh about 4 years ago
Gator_cake

I'd try adding some more of the savory seasonings, and maybe a bit more cream and see what happens. There are about a million versions of butter chicken, so you have a lot of latitude.

Can you dilute the sauce some with chicken broth, white wine, more butter?

Dsc00426

i'm not familiar with butter chicken in general, but if it's a nice level of tart and sweet but needs a little more something, maybe try adding another angle on the flavor: cayenne, oregano, or parlsey would all work with the citrus-honey profile.

It's a tomato based Indian "curry" with yoghurt/cream. For some reason the recipe I used called for lemon, I should have questioned it, as I've never used it before. I have always added honey, so that was normal. But in the end when I tasted it, it's got a biting lemon flavor. I am so bummed.

Dsc_0048b

Did more yogurt/cream help?

Gator_cake

don't give up steph... add more cream, and keep tinkering!

Dsc_0048b

and more of your spices....and tomatoes (are there tomatoes in it?)

Desert

Sorry but its over and done theres no fixing it. Just learn from it.

Dsc00426

oops. i didn't realize you meant *that* butter chicken. i'm sorry it was a bust!