Is it ok to substitute a food mill with a food processor to prepare a (zucchini) vichyssoise?

asked by AmandaM over 3 years ago
Uruguay2010_61

Sure, but run it through a chinois afterwords, to get the naughty bits out.

I'd use a blender instead, if you have access to one.

Vichyssoise needs to be very smooth, and a food mill leaves too many bits, even if you run it through a chinois. I would use a blender and then strain, if you don't have access to a food processor.

Desert

How can somebody say to not use a food mill and a chinois when this would be the industry standard? Phyllis, are sure you know what a chinois is? Because it's about the finest mesh strainer/sieve in the professional kitchen. If you run a puree through a chinois you are not going to get any bits. The idea here is to be helpful not mis-inform. She asked if you could use a food processor. What can we tell he about using a food processor? Yes, you can use a food processor as long as you make sure that you run and pulse and maybe do a few small batches and run for a long peroid of time. Yes, strain through your finest mesh strainer or chinois and push through with a wood spoon. And yes, the idea is that you want it to be as smooth as possible. Don't let the mis-informer(s) deter you because you might not have the right equipment. And, If it's not perfectly smooth just make sure it taste good. Remember, your not competing for the James Beard award. Have fun!

Uruguay2010_61

Thank you for coming to my defense. I am showing my age by saying we did not have food processors when I worked in restaurants. I remember my first chef, who would NEVER allow anything but a creamy vichyssoise, produced through the chinois only. . . and believe me, it was every day I had to make it. This is EXACTLY my biggest pet peeve with so many "cooks". . . they never learn the basics, spend so much money on the latest & greatest kitchen toys and have kitchens that are over the top and a waste of money. Learn the basics with basic tools and you will be a better cook.

I make Deborah Madison's cold zucchini soup with a blender and it is delicious and not completely smooth, but smoother than a food processor. So I think the recipe is okay a bit rough. This is a delicious soup and I confess I make it with chicken stock.
http://bklynfoodie.com...

Desert

usubi dashi-I couldn't have had said it better!

re the recipe link I posted: the adapted recipe uses one serrano pepper. The original uses one roasted poblano. Tha will give more chile flavor but be milder.

I'm a home cook and not a chef. I do own a chinois that I use frequently. I gave my opinion. I'm sorry I wasn't helpful.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I don't see where anyone misinformed anybody, anyone. Clearly, anyone could use one of these: http://www.food52.com/contests...