🔔
🔎

Puree them with a few tablespoons of water, sugar to taste starting with small amounts, and use as a sauce over just about anything. A little lemon or mint will brighten it up. If you want to make it savory, heat very gently with some chopped thyme or rosemary (leave out the lemon or mint).

Farmer's_market

Cassis is made from black currants - and I've often cooked berries down with cassis to make a syrup/berry compote to serve over vanilla panna cotta, ice cream, etc. More or less as Pegeen suggests. Also, over pound cake or maybe a lemon mousse. You could also use them in a mixed berry or plum tart (I love a tart with one color fruit - e.g., blueberry/plum.)

I just got about a pound of fresh black currants and am thinking about using them for a lemon bar variation, i.e. shortbread crust with a sweet-sour topping made with fruit, eggs and sugar. Any idea if this would work?

How_to_make_a_custard_part_1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I LOVE blackcurrants (the only currant to be one word). But they are a strong taste and not for everyone. I agree about making a syrup, although I would omit herbs and add them to finish a dish, because cassis will put the kibosh on anything that tries to marry or dance with it.

I love adding them to scones, pancakes, jams, ice cream, cakes, muffins and pies - with other fruits - because they add a disco ball to every boring cocktail party. They're deep and soulful, sexy and mysterious, meaty and lusty, all at the same time. They freeze well, do not lose their umph, and can be used sparingly or with abandon. Throw caution to the wind and have fun with them!