🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Martha Stewart's One-Pan Pasta

2014-0624_genius_one-pan-pasta-071

I have a question about the recipe "Martha Stewart's One-Pan Pasta" from Genius Recipes. Is there a specific ratio of pasta to water for this kind of recipe? This looks delicious, but far too much for one person.

asked by trampledbygeese 3 months ago
Download

It calls for 12oz pasta and 4.5 cups water, so I would just halve the entire recipe. You may have some leftover, but it will make a nice midnight snack or tomorrows lunch. Have you had a spaghetti sandwich on white bread with butter? Omg..pure joy. Cutting it down more than half may compromise the recipe.

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Okay, very curious -- so does the sandwich involve plain spaghetti noodles? Or noodles dressed in tomato sauce?

Farmer's_market

Spaghetti on toast (kind of an open faced sandwich) is a popular old school British thing. I recall seeing it there, and my British grad school roommate used to make it - Heinz beans on toast too - when she was homesick. We're talking spaghetti with bottled sauce, nothing fancy. She swore by it.

Fsm

Spaghetti Toast = fantastic! I remember my flatmate use to top it with crisps (potato chips). From the bottom up - white toast, thick slather of butter, reheated tomato pasta, the broken bits of crisps from the bottom of the packet. Then usually a big dollop of brown sauce, but personally I think the brown sauce is unnecessary. Sometimes he would put it under the grill with cheese before adding the crisp crumbs. Any tomato based leftover pasta would do, he never found the need to be fussy.

Farmer's_market

How could I forget the HP sauce! Yes, so many things were doused with it. I got to be fond of Marmite, but never quite got the HP love...maybe it has to be in your DNA, like American yellow mustard or Hershey's chocolate. Though not on a spaghetti sandwich ;)

Download

Lindsay-jean, it is made with cold, leftover spaghetti and meat sauce originally. It was a favorite breakfast of my Papou's. Maybe he overindulged in Ouzo the night before. :0) I think this pasta recipe just might make a fabulous rendition.

Pict1821

I'm intrigued, I'll have to give it a shot!

Miglore

Kristen is the Executive Editor of Food52

Leftover pasta is also great in a frittata, which is, in turn, great in sandwiches!

Download

Oooo..I never thought to use leftover frittata in a sandwich. I know what I am making this weekend..starting with Martha's pasta and ending with a frittata sanny. :0)

Marian Bull

Marian is Food52's Associate Editor.

So meta!

France
Catherine Lamb

Catherine is the Community Manager at Food52.

It's true! We did a #bestovers of it, and now I'm pretty hooked. I'm intrigued in this whole cold pasta + bolognese on bread with butter...

Fsm

There are so many leftovers that go great on toast! Not just pasta and beans. You would be amazed at how a slice of (preferably stale) good bread and pat of real butter can do for leftovers. Off to see if I can find the #bestovers, is it in columns or recipes?

Download

Marian Bull, I love that you said "so meta". So underutilized.

Catherine Lamb, a thick layer of unsalted Kerrygold with a sprinkling of flake sea salt is the modern version of Papou's sandwich. If you cut it on the diagonal, it actually looks quite pretty.

Fsm

Fried leftover spaghetti is the second best breakfast ever - after cold pizza. But really I have limited fridge space right now.

Though I cook pasta pretty much daily, I usually only cook about 1/2 cup of short pasta for myself at a time then make a sauce out of whatever looks good in the garden/cupboard. If I'm extra hungry, I add more vegi's or lentils to the sauce.

I gave this a try last night after I turned my computer off - well a version of it since I forgot to write it down. I have this tiny korean clay pot, a bit smaller than a cereal bowl, that I love to cook in. It's great because it doubles as a serving dish and it retains the heat for about an hour after it leaves the stove. I put the pasta on the bottom and added water till it covered the pasta and some. Added sun dried tomatoes in oil (with a few drops of the oil), olive chopped up stuff in a jar, capers, salt & pepper. Oh and garlic, lots of fresh garden garlic. Heated it up on medium-low till boiling, then simmered till the water was just about gone, then stirred in grated goats cheese. Very tasty, but too much water. The pasta got quite soggy.

I think just trial and error to find the right ratio will be the way to go.

Download

I made half the recipe tonight and it was just right. I have that same Korean bowl. I use it for my bebimbap, but not for this dish. :)

Fsm

I tried making one pot pasta again, this time I put the short pasta in the bottom of the small clay pot and just barely covered it with water, then added the extra ingredients. This seems to work well for short pasta.

The korean cooking bowl is great for more than just bebimbap. Though it does makes fantastic stove top rice. I like it for just about any one-pot meal because it's easy to clean and limits my portion size. Also, there is something tastier about being forced to cook at a lower heat.

Please forgive my ignorance but I've been wondering, why cook a whole bag of pasta at once instead of measuring out portions? Large households to feed? Leftover pasta is delicious, sure, but eating the same sauce more than two days in a row gets boring for me. I'm probably just weird in that I like to cook a different pasta and sauce every day. I never know what I'm going to feel like eating tomorrow.

Download

I am the opposite of you. I love leftovers. Either repurposed or in original form. My lunch is often dinner from the night before. I sometimes make enough for 4 just to avoid cooking every day. Especially in the summer. I also don't mind eating the same thing multiple times. :0)

Fsm

I'm not completely anti-leftovers, just easily board. Leftovers, for me, are the side dish of tomorrow. Or better still, the ingredients of tomorrow. A roast becomes cold meat side the next day, leftover from that becomes a curry, which becomes the topping for a pizza...and so on and so forth until it's gone. Just so long as it's not the same two days running, I'm a happy girl.

Sadie_crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Spaghetti on toast. Spaghetti on toast with broken crisps. Spaghetti in a frittata. Frittata on toast. The things that are clearly worth trying which I learned in this thread are endless! I loathe leftovers, so anything that lets me recycle them in an interesting way is all good. Food52 rocks!!!

Fsm

I love this site! This is such a wonderful group of people, great articles, always fun things to learn. If you are feeling really brave, add a generous helping and a half of your favourite curry powder to fried pasta, serve with well buttered toast. Heck, I even made a pot of curry once with leftover pasta as a base. Fried an onion, added one of the pataks curry paste and cooked for a min or two, then add pasta, can of chickpeas (drained) and some liquid (beer I think). Heat really well, serve with poppadoms. It wasn't bad, but then again, curry fixes everything.