🔔
🔎

Looking for a way to keep whipped cream fluffy for a few hours before serving?

I'm hoping to find a recipe or trick to help me keep whipped cream to serve with cake fluffy and nice during a dinner party tonight without the use of chemical stabilizers

asked by JudyFoodie 4 months ago
Image

If you.add sugar to your whipped cream, use confectioners sugar. It has a little bit of cornstarch in it which keeps things fluffy and nice.

Whipping some cream cheese into it also stabilizes it! We use this trick in catering for things on the buffet.

Image

Or add 1 to 2 tbsp jello vanilla instant pudding mix ( the powder not the finished product) for a pint (2 cups) heavy cream.

20141114_100554

I like using unflavored gelatin. It doesn't alter the flavor at all. I used to use 1 tsp for every cup of cream, but that was for whipped cream that needed to be
stable for a day or two. You may be able to use less. You need to bloom it in 1/4 cup water. Then heat until melted. Let cool, but not so cool that it sets.

If I remember correctly, Rose Levy Beranbaum (a great cook and chemist, of Cake Bible fame) stabilizes whipped cream by adding some more butter/fat. Keeps for hours. Check the book or her website.

Oops! That was Nancy Silverton & Harold McGee (same as in Lindsay-Jane Hard answer below). Not RLB - she favors cornstarch.

This works! Place the whipped cream in a wire mesh strainer and then place the strainer over a bowl. cover with Saran Wrap. Liquid from the whipped cream will collect in the bottom of the bowl and the whipped cream will stay fluffy

Pict1821

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Here's another option for whipped cream with staying power: https://food52.com/blog...

Farmer's_market

If you're whipping it right before the dinner, to only hold a couple of hours until dessert, you can use confectioner's sugar, as mentioned, to both sweeten and stabilize it - then hold it in the fridge. I've done this for years, and it's always worked well.

Image

Thanks everyone, I used confectioners sugar and it worked perfectly!