Homemade Apple Butter -- Substitute for Applesauce in a Cake?

If I adjust the sugar -- carefully! -- could I use homemade apple butter in a cake recipe that calls for thick applesauce?

asked by Melusine about 1 month ago

added about 1 month ago

One of my fondest childhood memories is my mother's apple butter on a peanut butter sandwich. Fast-forward many years to apple trees in the yard of my own young family, and I made apple butter, too. I used it often in place of apple sauce in one of our favorite breakfast cakes. By all means, do it.

036

added about 1 month ago

Absolutely! I did that with this cake from Merrill and it's fantastic:

https://food52.com/recipes...

added about 1 month ago

Any good recipes for apple butter? Thanks!

036

added about 1 month ago

if I do say so myself: https://food52.com/recipes...

and sometimes I make a basic version with apples, good apple cider, brown sugar and cinnamon. I like it better with a variety of apples rather than a single type.

Liza'skitchenlogo
added about 1 month ago

I've made apple butter many times, mostly without a "recipe". In a slow cooker, add about 6.5 lbs of apples (I like honey crisp and fuji), 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 TB cinnamon, 0.5 tsp nutmeg, 0.25 tsp ginger (or cloves - I'm just not a fan), 0.25 tsp salt, and 1 TB vanilla extract. Cook on low for about 10 hours or overnight stirring/mushing occasionally then when it's done pour it in a blender (or use a food processor) and blend until smooth. Make sure it's cool prior to putting it in jars (or at least wait to close them).

added about 1 month ago

Thank you for the recipes!

added about 1 month ago

Once again -- thank you! Making pecan apple cake this afternoon.