🔎

• 7

• 35257

what's the traditional liquor that goes in eggnog?

Thefoodsection
nutcakes added over 3 years ago

Is this a trick question? Bourbon is the one I've had and see in most recipes.

Debbykalk-photo
latoscana added over 3 years ago

I've had it with rum and also brandy, which add more sweetness.

Dsc03010
betteirene added over 3 years ago

Bourbon, rum and (not "or") cognac. All three, with whole eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg and cinnamon.

limoncello added over 3 years ago

All (any) of the above! The liquor store even sells a holiday "mix" of rum and brandy, perhaps just for eggnog! Oh, and I noticed that they sell a premixed Evan Williams (bourbon) eggnog, as well.

Uruguay2010_61
usuba dashi added over 3 years ago

Oh My God . . My mother and her sister (two Scots women) would make egg nog every Christmas with every alcohol available. No open flames where allowed in the same room as their concoction, but it was the best in the world. Bourbon, rum, brandy, etc. Another words, it is open for interpretation. Keep adding the ingredients, taste it and see how it is. That is the fun.

amysarah added over 3 years ago

I think it's partly a question of family tradition, but also a regional thing. For my husband's family in Kentucky, anything but bourbon in egg nog would be unthinkable. But I used to have a neighbor that grew up in Jamaica, who made incredible egg nog every Christmas - always with lots of rum (really good rum too,) sprinkled with fresh grated nutmeg. So good.

KarenLyons added over 3 years ago

You can use whatever you like... bourbon, brandy, rum or whiskey!