🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

what's the traditional liquor that goes in eggnog?

asked by @thefoodsection almost 4 years ago

Is this a trick question? Bourbon is the one I've had and see in most recipes.

Debbykalk-photo

I've had it with rum and also brandy, which add more sweetness.

Dsc03010

Bourbon, rum and (not "or") cognac. All three, with whole eggs, heavy cream, nutmeg and cinnamon.

All (any) of the above! The liquor store even sells a holiday "mix" of rum and brandy, perhaps just for eggnog! Oh, and I noticed that they sell a premixed Evan Williams (bourbon) eggnog, as well.

Uruguay2010_61

Oh My God . . My mother and her sister (two Scots women) would make egg nog every Christmas with every alcohol available. No open flames where allowed in the same room as their concoction, but it was the best in the world. Bourbon, rum, brandy, etc. Another words, it is open for interpretation. Keep adding the ingredients, taste it and see how it is. That is the fun.

Farmer's_market

I think it's partly a question of family tradition, but also a regional thing. For my husband's family in Kentucky, anything but bourbon in egg nog would be unthinkable. But I used to have a neighbor that grew up in Jamaica, who made incredible egg nog every Christmas - always with lots of rum (really good rum too,) sprinkled with fresh grated nutmeg. So good.

You can use whatever you like... bourbon, brandy, rum or whiskey!