Yes! You can substitute a gf flour mix for this. One thing to be aware of, though, is that Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix has bean flour--so the stuff you make with it will have a bean taste. I recommend a more neutral mix if you have time/desire to make one--one that doesn't contain bean flour. I have a mix on my site, as do other gf bakers. If you want to check out my mix, the link is: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.... The Gluten-Free Girl has a mix, too. So does Carol of Simple Gluten-Free, and Jules of Jules Gluten-Free.

I hope this is helpful. I am happy to help more if you need it. E-mail me with more questions!

Dsc_0048b

What about rice flour? What else is in the mix? The rice flour would be a thin coating though - not like your gorgeous cutlet above.

My husband is gf and I've experimented with a variety of different things to replace flour when pan-frying, including gf flour (King Arthur brand is a blend of rice flours, potato and tapioca starch - no bean aftertaste), cornstarch, cornmeal, and crushed plain rice cakes. Each produces a slightly different result - cornstarch on the delicate end of the spectrum and cornmeal on the other end. Lately, I've also been grating Rudy's gluten free bread to replace bread crumbs- I made Rhonda's pangritata using them last night and it was delicious.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Rudi's GF bread also works as a coating, when it's processed into bread crumbs:
http://www.rudisglutenfree... (Mix it with a little egg and some spices and you're good to go.)

I freeze the crusts when I'm done with the loaf and when I have a bunch, I run them all through my food processor. Instant crumbs! They can also be re-frozen and kept for months when you're using just a little at a time.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I've used the Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour to coat fish fillets. They came out nice and crispy.

Lnd_jen

Thanks so much, everyone! I'm going to post a link to here in response to my commenter. Really, really appreciate the advice - Go Team Foodpickle!

Shauna_and_danny_ahern_-_photo_credit_sarah_bunch
glutenfreegirl

Shauna James Ahern is cooking up a good life, gluten-free. Her most recent book, Gluten-free Girl and the Chef was named one of the best Cookbooks of 2010 by the New York Times.

I'm later to this conversation than I hoped to be, but everyone has given you great advice! I concur about the Bob's Red Mill AP mix -- the bean flour taste is pretty assertive. (Their biscuit and baking mix does not have it, however, so it's a good choice.)

My favorite combination for fried chicken or fried fish is mostly sweet rice flour with a touch of sorghum flour. Sweet rice flour (or mochiko) is super starchy and thus sticks to everything well. It also makes a wonderfully light and crunchy batter. Think tempura.

We add the sorghum for a bit more bite. Sometimes using only sweet rice flour makes the final result too much like tempura. If that's not the texture you're seeking, then a touch of sorghum -- which has a similar texture to whole wheat pastry flour -- helps to give it a bit more heft.

Really, though, you can't go too wrong. For dredging, you just need a flour. The gluten doesn't actually matter here.