I have a frozen leg of lamb which I want to cook. Can it be cooked from frozen? Some website have said yes. I want to use a recipe from the NYT that I cooked before and it was fab. It's a 5 hour cook with a bottle of red and root vegetables. Is it safe directly from frozen? Appreciate all advice

asked by casadelmonte over 3 years ago
Chris_in_oslo

It will be fine.

Gator_cake

is this the recipe? http://www.nytimes.com...
Since you're braising the lamb, it should work, though will likely take a bit longer.

Hardlikearmour yes that is the recipe it was perfect, I am going to go with the tomatoe version tomorrow, thank you all for the info

A

A

It is something I'd never do. Why wouldn't you soak it in cool water, wrapped, for an hour or two tonight, place in fridge overnight, then further soak till ready tomorrow? I'm going to read more about it, but it does bother me.

I would definitely defrost first if only to be able to brown it ahead of braising. To begin cooking while still frozen is not going to improve it.