I am making the Cider Brined Pork by Oui Chef tonight - and wondering if I can substitute a cognac for the calvados and if not - can anyone recommend an alternative? Thanks in advance! Oh and Amanda, that was me today, who attacked you on Broadway, sorry about that. I was really excited.

asked by wingirl over 3 years ago
036

I think so, you have the cider for the apple flavor so the lack of calvados isn't a major catastrophe. You are funny, did everyone survive the attack?

Thanks! You will have to ask Amanda...I might have scared her!!

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

I certainly would use cognac instead. It will taste a bit different than the original recipe, but to my mind should taste just as good! ;o)

I made this on our ski trip (for the third time!) and Cognac was my only option at the tiny liquor store...it tasted a little bit different but worked great and everyone loved the dish - enjoy...I really love that recipe :)

That is exactly what I did when I made that dish. Calvados is not cheap. I could not justify spending that money for such a small amount. I also did not want to buy Apple Jack. That is not as expensive as Calvados, but the quality is not particularly high. I figured that a good cognac is superior to a cheap apple brandy. We were very happy with the results.

Gator_cake

Clear Creek Distillery from Oregon has a 2-yr aged apple brandy that is great for cooking when recipes call for Calvados, and is less expensive. I see from their website you can get their products in San Fran. If you ever make it to Portland they have a great tasting room! http://www.clearcreekdistillery...

If calvados is too expensive for ones budget to justify using try finding it in the little bottles (airline, nippers) It is used in so many recipes and I have found this a cost effective way to keep certain boozes around for cooking purposes. they run $1 at my local liqour store.

Thanks to all, the cognac worked beautifully and I also added a little apple cider vinegar to the deglazing step which I think balanced the sweetness out very well. Thanks OuiChef, I will make it again!