Has anyone preserved fresh lemon grass in any way? It seems that cutting it into manageable lengths and freezing for later use might work. I have quite a bit that needs to be cut back and I've never harvested more than a recipe's worth before.

asked by Queen of Spoons over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Lemongrass freezes well -- I've wrapped whole stalks in plastic wrap and then foil and they've kept well for many months.

I've also kept it frozen after chopping finely and adding some neutral oil. It makes it really quick to make the marinade for grilled pork, one of my favorite dishes. http://www.vietworldkitchen...

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I know that you can also dry it by hanging it upside down as you would other herbs, though I have yet to actually try this myself.

Face_hat_underpainting_1

Thanks! Will try both amanda and prettyPeas ideas.

lemongrass freezes very well. I wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in a freezer bag all the better to see it. Just take out what you need.

I individually quick freeze then place in a large freezer bag and pull from the bag constantly until gone.

COOL ! This is very good to know. Thanks all !

I think it maintains a much fresher flavour when frozen as opposed to drying.