I bought a meyer lemon a couple of days ago to make Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart for a dinner party. Then we decided to move the party until next week. Will the lemon keep in my refrigerator that long? Or should I use it for something else and buy a new one next week? (I know buying a new one shouldn't really be a big deal, but I have to admit, I'm kind of cheap when it comes to buying non-local fruits and veg.)

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Image

It will keep. I"ve had one in my refrigerator for > 1 week and it's fine. It's a great recipe--enjoy!!

I'm with you on the local bit!! I've had really good luck with lemons in the crisper drawer, they usually last a couple of weeks before they shrivel up and wither away. I wrap mine in a paper towel and that seems to absorb any excess moisture from other food stuffs. I say go for it.

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Wonderful! Thanks so much for advising. And, I'll give the paper towel trick a try. I'm so looking forward to the tart!

Dsc_0028

A week in the fridge should be fine. Be warned, though, that Meyer lemons with their tender skins do not keep as well or as long as regular lemons and oranges. I am ashamed to admit that I have too often made the mistake of forgetting about them until they were beyond their useful life. And unless you have a tree in your yard, they are kind of pricey! (I adore them -- such perfume! I've made Amanda's NY Times Meyer lemon tart recipe from 12.02.1998 several times to rave reviews.)

Me_by_barbara_tyroler

Somewhere, I came across a wonderful tip for keeping produce fresh. When you get it home, wash it in a mix of 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water. This removes stuff from the skin of the fruit or veg and they do not get moldy. I find it to be especially effective with citrus fruits, but everything I've tried it with has lasted longer than expected.