How long can you actually keep preserved lemons for? I found some in the back of my fridge that I made, oh, about a year ago at this point, and about 1/4 of the jar is left. Should I toss them at this point?

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Gator_cake

The recipe I used to make preserved lemons says they're good for a year in the fridge. I think as long as there's no mold growing on them they're probably fine. There's so much salt and acid I don't think bacterial contamination would be a worry.

I agree--as a traditional preservation method, with very high salt and acidity there is unlikely to be any contamination--the only times I've seen any problems would be near the surface if some of the mixture has separated and gotten moldy--so check for abnormalities on the top.

Sausage2
fiveandspice

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. It just seems like there's way too much salt and acid for anything much to grow in there!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet