🔔
🔎

Happy Super Bowl Weekend!
Here's one... I am making Chicken Pot Pie. I was going to make the crust when I realized I had a couple of containers of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls in the fridge... Anyone every used that for a crust. Seems like a good way to use them up. Any thoughts....

asked by Lucia from Madison almost 4 years ago

Don't see why it wouldn't work, but that stuff is poison.

I make a chicken pot pie that has a thick cheddar-biscuit topping (no bottom crust but I could have used some of it) and it's delicious. Were you just going to lay the dough flat on bottom and top? It seems like that would be okay for bottom, but too thin on top, and the filling wouldn't get hot enough before the topping is getting too dark...

If you don't feel like making a crust, you could just make the filling and top it with mashed potatoes before baking like a shepherd's pie.

Here's how they use it as a topper for Chicken a la King. Wow they have a lot of uses for crescent rolls on the Pillsbury site.
http://www.pillsbury.com...

Kay_at_lake

My concern with it as a bottom crust is that it would get too soggy. I think it'd be good to use as a top crust, though; maybe even get all fancy-like and cut it in strips and weave it as a lattice...

But my favorite use of crescent roll dough as an appetizer is to roll it out, compress all the seams and bake it flat in a sheet pan. Then spread cream cheese mixed with your choice of herbs on top, sprinkle it with finely cut up broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Cut it into little bars and it makes a great cold hors d'ouevre.

Uruguay2010_61

Cook the crust separately, fill a bowl with the hot pot pie filling, put the top on and serve. Perfect pot pie every time.

Uruguay2010_61

Uruguay2010_61

Make a pate brisee - it takes LESS time than all of the biscuit-y type things, is more delicious by a factor of a million, and contains no garbage: In a food processor, throw in 1 1/2 c flour, 1 stick of butter, 1/2 tsp salt, and turn it on. When it has become the consistency of sand, slowly pour in 1/4 cold water. In seconds it will form a dough, which you roll out and place on top of your pie. It takes no more than 10 minutes, including the time it takes to get out your machine, if you don't already have it out on your kitchen counter.

Photo_for_web

I always use pate brisee as a crust. Sometimes I add a little thyme to the dough. I may use the crescent rolls as shown on the pillsbury site that nutcakes mentioned. I will still use my regular filling. But I can't shake ellenl's comment that the stuff is poison... I am so careful about what I put on the table. I know what every ingredient is in the meals I prepare.
Just read the ingredients and I think for one night it will be okay. Thanks for all the comments!