I am going to make Lazy Mary's Lemon Tart today and am using
short cut of Pillsbury refrigerated Pie Crust. Do I need to
pre bake the shell before putting in the lemon filling?

Helene

asked by Helenegordon over 3 years ago
Gator_cake

You shouldn't need to. If you decide to par-bake it, make sure to watch that the crust doesn't over brown.

Junechamp

Only if you're supposed to blind bake the crust in the original recipe.

Whenever I use the Pillsbury crusts, I always roll it out a bit thinner. Imho otherwise it produces a doughy crust, and with a little rolling folks ask me for the recipe!

Me

I've made this great tart a couple times. I did not blind bake the crust nor did I feel I needed to. The crust stayed nice and firm. One tip I will pass along, FWIT, is a few people in the comments section wondered if they should decrease the sugar. I did the first time around b/c it seemed like a lot, and regretted it. I was quite aware of the bitterness of the rind. the second time, I used the amount of sugar dymnyno calls for in the recipe, and it was perfect for me. I'm sure you'll love it!!

Thank you ladies. I baked the tart without blind baking the Pillsbury crust, though I did
roll it out a bit per Chef June's suggestion. It looks wonderful sitting on my sideboard
ready for my husband's birthday--he has just discovered Meyer lemons and since we have
a tree, thought it would be fun to try.

Our dinner guests just left--what a hit this tart was. This is my new favorite dessert and the proportions were perfect.