🔔
🔎

A question about a recipe: Hunter's-Style Chicken

011811f_323

I have a question about step 6 on the recipe "Hunter's-Style Chicken" from lastnightsdinner. It says:

"Toss the chopped herbs with the mushrooms and return to the pot, stirring through. Nestle the chicken pieces on top, being sure to add any of the juices that have accumulated. Cover the pot with a parchment lid, and transfer the pot to the oven. Cook for at least one hour, preferably more, until the chicken is falling-apart tender and the sauce thick and reduced. Serve over creamy polenta with a sprinkle of chopped flat leaf parsley on top."

Can I braise the chicken on a slow cooker instead? If so, what setting, and for how long? Any other changes? Thanks!

asked by antonio_semeco over 3 years ago
Burnt_offering

Yes - you could easily do this in a slow cooker. A couple of things: An hour of braising on the stove or in a 325' oven is approximately 4 hours on low in a slow cooker or 2 hours on high. Brown your chicken and vegetables first. You will also want to reduce your liquid by about 1/2 cup, or reduce the sauce on the stove at the end. Also, add the herbs, but don't add your mushrooms until about an hour before the dish is done or they will disappear and make the sauce thinner. You might want to just brown the mushrooms separately and add them right at the end.

S538818392_1497440_3193_1_

Please see a very simple recipe for "chicken hunter style" within this blog post.
http://casa-giardino.blogspot...

Profile

I don't have anything else to add, really - Burnt Offerings provided a great and thorough response! I may hold back a spoonful or so of the chopped herbs and add them to the slow cooker closer to the end of cooking time (with 30 minutes left or so?) just to layer the flavors a bit more. If you try this in a slow cooker, please do let us know how it works out for you!