I can't get my fool as light and fluffy as I'd like. Any ideas?

I simmered rhubarb until it was the right consistency. Then strained through a sieve and allowed it to cool down. I then whisked 110g of icing sugar into 150ml of mascarpone. Then I folded that mixture into 150g of creme fraiche, before finally folding in the rhubarb. Then I poured the lot into a dish and chilled it.

It came out with the texture of a thick yoghurt - not quite what I was after.

asked by Audree over 3 years ago

put him on a diet and get him to a stylist.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I'd cut back the mascarpone and creme fraiche to 100 ml each and whip 100 ml of heavy cream until it holds soft peaks. Then fold this into the mascarpone-creme fraiche mixture -- this should lighten it up.

At this point, Amanda is right; fold in whipped heavy cream. Next time, whip 4oz mascarpone with a few tbsp's sugar then pour in 1 cup heavy cream and whip it until it holds firm peaks..about 3-5 minutes. It's stables the whipping cream and it will hold up for a week. Perfect for mousse or fool and it doesn't have the tang of cheese.

Thanks - still have some rhubarb left over so I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes. With photos of course. But the proof will be in the pudding... ;)