🔎

• 7

• 9044

• See other questions tagged:
    • mint

Herbs: Dried vs Fresh (and how much to use)...in this case it's Mint

If I have a recipe that calls for dried mint, but want the option to use fresh instead. I looked it up elsewhere online and the source said that with herbs, you should use 3 times the amount of fresh for the amount of dried, but that with mint, the dried and fresh amounts should be equal. Thoughts? Opinions? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

My_love_and_i
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

I use 2 times the amount of fresh for the amount of dried for all herbs -- even with mint. I don't think fresh mint is any more potent than other fresh herbs.

nutcakes added about 3 years ago

I'd tend to use the larger amount of fresh. What are you making? I feel I just went through this but I can't recall what I was making.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Make sure you remove the stems as well as the end of each leaf that attaches to the stem, when chopping the mint, as they can be bitter (assuming of course you don't want that bitterness). ;o)

Cimg0737
cookinginvictoria added about 3 years ago

I recently made this food52 recipe, http://www.food52.com/recipes... called for dried mint and I subbed fresh mint. I doubled the amount and thought that that proportion worked well.

Dried mint tastes like dust to me. I would definitely use fresh, but of course taste as you go.

Dsc_0954-wheat_bread
katiebakes added about 3 years ago

Fresh mint is always best! I normally use double the amount of fresh as dried, but even using 3 times as much won't matter- probably just make it better :)

My_love_and_i
elizabeth c added about 3 years ago

Great thanks so much for all of guidance!