bitter beets

the beets i have are quite bitter raw, and about halfway through cooking they are not at all sweetened up. any thoughts to counterbalance the bitterness?

asked by Raquelita over 3 years ago

I guess it's a bit too late to ask how you are cooking them? I don't think I have run accross bitter ones, but roasting makes them sweetest, to my taste. Dress them in a sweet dressing I suppose, or fimish cooking by pan braising with some water, butter and sugar.

I grew beets one year and some of them were bitter. Nothing I could do saved them. From what I've read, sounds like it happens when it gets too dry at some point during growing.

The bitterness might actually work to advantage in a beet and cabbage slaw. (Google for recipes). You could jar that and use it as a side dish for a few months. Pare with some shredded carrots, dill and caraway seeds in the mix.

What sam said made me think pickling them might work.