🔎

Has anyone made steel cut oats in a rice cooker?

I want to set my rice cooker on timer mode and wake up to delicious steel cut oats tomorrow morning.
Anyone have ideas on time and measurements?
Thanks!

Photo_46
robinbeth added about 3 years ago

I've used the slow cook setting on my rice cooker to make the Overnight Steel-Cut Oats recipe on this site (http://www.food52.com/recipes...). I've tried many times, even using almond milk in place of regular milk. I set the timer for eight hours, go to sleep, and wake up to a hot breakfast. It is heavenly. The recipe makes too much for one person, so I've been doing it with 1/3 cup of oats and 1 1/3 cups water and 2/3 cups of milk.

Photo_46
HeviCooks added about 3 years ago

Thank you! I will try that tonight.

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

You might google a bit, I seem to recall a big discussion about this on chowhound when I was researching rice cookers. by all accounts the zojirushi makes great oats!

Kay_at_lake
Kayb added about 3 years ago

I have your basic WalMart generic $19.99 rice cooker. It does an admirable job on steel-cut oats. I use the same proportions recommended for stove-top cooking -- 3 parts water to 1 part oats, plus about a half-teaspoon of kosher salt, hit "cook" and walk way. 20 minutes later, I have excellent oatmeal. It has a little liquid standing on top, which, stirred in, makes the oats a perfect consistency for me to add butter and brown sugar and pig out.

Photo_46
HeviCooks added about 3 years ago

Thank you everyone!! I woke up to a steaming hot pot of oats, and like you said Kayb, there was a little liquid on top, but it mixed in just great. Am very excited to experiment now that I know it works....!