🔎

• 6

• 624

A question about a recipe: Cornbread

I have a question about the recipe "Cornbread" from Homemadecornbread. 2 TBSP butter are listed in the ingredients, which appear to be for buttering the skillet. But there is also butter in the milk mixture...how much?

37_thumb
Threemealsaday added about 3 years ago

The way I read that recipe the melted butter is goes in the mix with the ingredients. Buttering the skillet is extra. At least that is my interpretation.

Image003
Homemadecornbread added about 3 years ago

Yes, the butter listed in the recipe goes into the batter. I use about the same amount for melting in the skillet before pouring in the batter. I should have made that more clear in the recipe - I'll be sure to update it.

gern added about 3 years ago

Got it...thanks!

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

classic southern technique: melt the butter for the batter in the skillet so you start with a sizzling skillet.

gern added about 3 years ago

made this tonight...came out great. added another 1/2 cup of milk, but otherwise straight from the recipe.

aimeebama added about 3 years ago

I needed to add more milk to make the batter pourable too and that worked. Skipped the sugar b/c I like Southern cornbread. Using a bacon skillet would work really well here so you could use bacon grease from the morning instead of butter for the pan-- will do that next time.