🔎

Received a jar of Spekuloos Spread in my stocking at Christmas. Thoughts on how to use it? I was thinking swirled into a batch of vanilla ice cream...

Heather_workman
Mlt_yogateau_1
mtrelaun added about 3 years ago

I spread mine on toast. A perfect breakfast or afternoon treat!

Chris_in_oslo

Anyplace you might use Nutella or Belgium's old favorite, chocopasta (like Nutella but without the hazelnuts). Your idea of an ice cream swirl sounds good. I've also heard of people using it as a thin layer in spice cakes and cookies. But spread on bread is probably the end destination of most speculoos spread. Smaakelijk!

louie734 added about 3 years ago

Never had it, but I have heard of it - namely, that it is fantastic.

What about on some silver-dollar-sized pancakes? I assume it's too thick to really get on a waffle, and not sure if it melts with a little heat.

Jealous! I love esoteric food gifts!

cooks4fun added about 3 years ago

The guys over at the Wafels & Dings food truck serve it as a waffle topping. I get their Li├Ęge waffle with Spekuloos and it's quite awesome.

Heather_workman
fromajolie added about 3 years ago

@cooks4fun: Of course there'd be a food truck like that in NYC. Jealous!

@mtrelaun: Great suggestion. Will certainly try this soon.

@Greenstuff: I've never heard of Chocopasta, but now I'm intrigued. I'll have to look for that, and in the meantime, use your suggestions with the Spekulaas.

@louie734: The gifts I love as well!

Cheers all, and thanks.

CarlaCooks added about 3 years ago

You're in luck! That stuff is like crack for me. I love spreading it on crepes. It's also pretty good on a rice cake. Though I've never tried it, I imagine it would also be a good filling for macarons. Or you could eat it the way I most often do... with a spoon!

Heather_workman
fromajolie added about 3 years ago

@CarlaCooks: HA! I think you and I could be great friends. Me and peanut butter have a history with spoons, and after tasting the Spekulaas, well... Will definitely try on crepes -- didn't think of that, which is odd, b/c we have them quite often. Cheers!