🔔
🔎

Any ideas about a non-dairy cheese to substitute for cream cheese in Helenthenanny's recipe for Devils on Hatchback? Would goat cheese be weird? Anyon

asked by John Ryan Brooks almost 4 years ago
Dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Goat cheese would be delicious, but certainly contains goat milk. If the issue is cow, you're good to go.

Lobster_001

You could use a tofu mixture. It can have the consistancy of cream cheese and you can flavor it however you like.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket...

What would make goat cheese non dairy? It's not cow nut it's still milk.

Is it for lactose intolerance? Many people with lactose intolerance can eat yogurt. and some hard cheeses.
You could try making some yogurt cheese, take a strainer line with cheese cloth and fill with yogurt over a drip pan. It's a good sub for cream cheese.

http://lowfatcooking.about...

Not sure about the dairy vs. non-dairy question, but a restaurant in my neighborhood in Seattle serves jalepenos filled with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon, and baked (at least that's what I tell myself so I can keep eating them on the regular), and they're delish!

I think a soft goat cheese would be fine. I'm lactose intolerant and can tolerate goat cheese a lot better than cow's milk. When people state they want something "non-dairy" I always assume that they mean not from a cow, so goat cheese should be OK. There's a tofutti brand cream cheese, but I think that it tastes yucky, sort of artificial. I vote for a mild, soft goat cheese or make your own cream cheese alternative w/ tofu.

The tofutti "Better than Cream Cheese" products taste almost exactly like real cream cheese, but tend to get pretty runny when heat (from experience of english muffins and drippy fake cream cheese all over everywhere. maybe an off batch though?).
I'd go with the goat cheese.

Jc_profilepic

I have made cashew milk, using raw cashews soaked in water, but i have never made cashew cheese; here is one version if you feel like experimenting:
http://chocolateandzucchini...

you are so right pierino! i always thought dairy only applied to cows but it applies to the harvest of all animal milk for human consumption.