🔎

• 6

• 775

A question about a recipe: Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce

I have a question about the recipe "Leg of Lamb with Garlic Sauce" from ChefJune.

There are so many different cooking methods. I am thinking of doing the Kafka for 500 for maybe an hour. Do you think this will work? This recipe says it serves 8 generously. Should if be 5 lbs net weight? If this is part of a large meal with soup first then a fish course and 3 different vegetables, do you think the size will work for 12 people? I was thinking just a bit on plate with suffice with all other things. Also, five different cookbooks list anywhere from 125 to 135 for medium rare. It is very confusing.

033010f_518

If you are referring to internal temperature, I would say the answer is in the middle at 130F. It's going to need to rest covered after you take the lamb out. Cooking a meat that has a bone I try to calculate 1/2 pound per person. You may still have leftovers but hopefully you won't run out

Junechamp

How many persons a 5-pound bone-in leg will serve definitely depends upon what else you are serving, and how much your guests usually eat. With what you have listed above, you should serve 12 comfortably. I always prefer to underestimate in the "serves how many" department. Leftover lamb makes great sandwiches!

130 Degrees F. has always worked for me for medium rare. I use a digital probe thermometer and don't worry about time. I just set it for the temperature. It works every time.

I have no idea what a "Kafka" is, so don't know how or if it will work.

Hope this helps! ;)

nancy druckman added about 3 years ago

Dear Chef June,

Thanks so much for your response. Kafka is Barbara Kafka whose book on roasting everything at 500 degrees is something that I try to follow.
Thanks,

Junechamp

Nancy: I have to say I am not a fan of that method, and don't recommend it. In fact, that book got used as a stand for my first Apple computer!

Pierino is not a fan of anything Kafkaesque. Including roasting meats.

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

The only thing I roast hot is beef tenderloin. Everything else, low and slow...