🔔
🔎

do i need to use sushi grade seafood to make ceviche?

asked by brandon over 3 years ago
036

No - but do use super fresh seafood that doesn't smell at all fishy - the acid from the citrus "cooks" the seafood but you still want the very best you can get your hands on!

Gator_cake

I'd also suggest using commercially purchased fish that has been frozen to -10ยบ C for 2 days or longer to ensure you won't get Diphyllobothrium (fish tapeworm.)

HLArmour has some very good and legal advise. This is what my local health department requires.

Hardlikearmour raises a good point. Personally the explosion of sushi places troubles me. Young American sushi cooks may be able to artfully cut fish but do they have the training and experience to recognize a nematode? I'll stick with the uni.

pierino, while I appreciate your ability to recognize the subtlety and training required to produce great sushi, ceviche has nothing to do with sushi or anything close to japanese preparations.

Gator_cake

brandon, though I can't speak for pierino, I'm pretty sure he was talking about the food safety angle of using raw fish & not comparing sushi to ceviche. Nematode = worm

thanks HLA, I knew about nematodes, and I appreciate your advice. Although the proteins in ceviche are denatured by the acid, it is still essentially a raw preparation, as well as crudos and tartares which I make frequently (I use sushi grade for those two) which is why I was compelled to respond to pierino.

Yes, I was referring specifically to sushi. I enjoy sushi but only if I have absolute confidence in the kitchen. Something about having sushi in a chain place in a shopping center doesn't always inspire that. Although I used to live in a community with a large Japanese population and all the best, authentic places actually were in strip malls.