I forgot salt in homemade bread. Any suggestions for what to do with it? Maybe breadcrumbs? If so, would it work to add salt to the crumbs?

asked by maryshore over 3 years ago

Breadcrumbs, croutons, good ideas. Add salt to them? Sure, it will help the flavor. If there is any kind of fat in the bread, though, use them up quite soon, as it tends to go rancid before too long after it has been exposed to the heat of the oven. Salt is necessary in bread, not only for flavor, but because it rations the amount of water that is available to yeast for reproduction. Bread doughs made without salt tend to undergo a China Syndrome sort of runaway reproduction if unchecked by salt. They can overproof rapidly, which compromises the structure of the bread.

Eat it with salty foods; sausages, olives etc. Tuscan bread is always made without salt.

Traditional Tuscan and Umbrian breads are made without salt. The reason goes back hundreds of years to when there were taxes on salt.

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only

Spread salted butter on it . . . . a delightful treat. Really. Interesting note, pierino, about the tax on salt. Didn't know that. I came to love unsalted bread when I lived in Florence. As plevee suggests, it's perfect with salume, salted olive oil, etc. Yummmm. ;o)

Kay_at_lake

I'd think you could use it well in bread pudding.

Mary-march08

The answers featuring "unsalted bread" make me feel much better about the mistake! Thanks for that and other suggestions for uses.

Uruguay2010_61

And you will see Italians sprinkle salt on their un-salted bread when you go to Tuscany. . . it always amazed me when I first saw it as a kid, having grown up on salty Irish butter & bread

That is why "Tuscan Saltless Bread" always seems to "pillow out".