Who has an easy (I would underline it if I could) pizza dough recipe?

Made the mistake of asking my guests what they wanted to eat for dinner and pizza was the answer. I am great with toppings, have a beautiful stone - but the dough not so good. (Won't make it to the store to buy premade.)

asked by SKK over 3 years ago

Here's my go-to flatbread pizza dough recipe (adapted from Mark Bittman's):

Sift together 1/2 cup whole wheat OR all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Cover with a towel and let sit while oven warms.

Preheat oven and pizza stone to 450 degrees. Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a 12 inch skillet or pizza pan and place in oven until warm. Remove from oven, pour in dough and bake for about 30 minutes, until edges are crispy. Sprinkle with toppings and broil until bubbly.

I also sometimes add chopped oregano or basil or crushed red pepper flakes in with the oil! And I like to dust the edges of the crust with more cornmeal before broiling.

Buddhacat

Thank you yesplease! You are the best!

Image

no yeast?

No yeast, it's a flatbread!

Buddhacat

Yesplease, I see you live in Columbus. Do you live in German Village by any chance?

Buddhacat

OK, I followed directions and when it was done the flatbread was think in some places and thinner in others. Did I pour too fast?

This is more an appetizer type pizza than a feed a crowd pizza.

You need a food processor..or even a mini-prep.
1/3 cup hot water
1 cup semolina flour
1 tsp baking soda (Check the expiration date on that)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs olive oil.
Mix the dry..and add the oil..add a bit of the water and pulse....add more water slowly and pulse until the dough forms a ball.
Let it rest 15mins to 2 hours.

Divide into 4 balls and roll out as thin as you can.

Heat up a cast iron skillet...heat up your broiler.
Put the disk in the pan when it start to bubble up...add your toppings* and put in the broiler until cheese is melted.

*It's pretty light cracker thin crust, which will not hold up well with tomato sauce (unless you just 'paint' on a bit)..use some sun dried tomatoes instead...or some pesto sauce.

Go light on the toppings..just cheese, some thin sliced mushrooms/onions, and some ham or chopped pepperoni.
Herbs are a must---use one or two of rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil.
Some good crunchy finishing salt is good too!
Cool on a wire rack a min or so...or since these are small 6in ..I use a couple of chopsticks.

How uneven is the dough? When I made this, the thickness didn't vary significantly.

Buddhacat

Crispy to doughy - in the center and on the sides and in quadants. As I poured in one part of th 12" pan the olive oil came to the surface and in the other part remained on the bottom. Thanks for the response!

Buddhacat

Thank you Sam1148. I will try this. I love a thin crust and on the recipe yesplease sent did paint on a tiny bit of tomato paste and used sun dried tomatoes.

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier. I usually swirl the batter around in the skillet, similar to how I might pour eggs in a pan for an omelet. Usually there's just a bit of oil on top of the dough, and I tilt the pan for an even coat.

How'd it go? Hope your dinner turned out well!

Oh, and I don't live in German Village, but I love both Barcelona and Pistacia Vera and visit when I can!

Buddhacat

Thank you, yesplease. Dinner was great and the flatbread crust had a lovely flavor.

I hope you see this SKK. In the above recipe for the thin crust. I should have said Baking Powder...not Baking Soda.

Button-butteryumcopy

P1190253d_medium_ Check out my blog for my "10 Secrets for Making Pizzeria Quality Pizza at Home"

http://butteryum.blogspot...

This is my favorite-takes five minutes to put together and 1 hour rising time, then shaping. It's very flexible. You can mix it in the morning...no kneading required, put in fridge, and it will be ready when you get home. It's from The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. It's NEVER failed me.
Culinate published the recipe and here is the link:
http://www.culinate.com...