🔔
🔎

How long do soybean sprouts last in the fridge before I have to cook them? Buying some this week but won't be able to cook right away.

I'll be boiling and seasoning some for a Korean side dish and making a soup as well.

asked by myzuk over 3 years ago

Mung bean sprouts? (aka Bean Sprouts).
It's really best to sprout them yourself. It only takes a few days or so.

However, look at them..wash them well, clean them well. (Use a tablespoon of white vinegar and a couple of pints of water let them soak..then rinse well).

From the store: I'd say 3 days at max, depending on the source. And still use the wash/soak to be sure any nasties are removed and the vinegar/water soak rehydrates them.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

I have found soybean sprouts, along with mung bean sprouts, at my local HMart (which I LOVE). They seem to be more robust than the mung sprouts. They take a bit longer to cook and remain crisp. I would think that they last a bit longer. I agree with Sam1148 only store them for a few days. Depending on the recipe, you may be able to cook the sprouts ahead of time and finish the recipe later when you plan to serve?

Scan0004

Soy sprouts should not be eaten raw. If you are concerned about them, try blanching, then refrigerate for a few days until you are ready to use them. Want to give us the recipes?