how do you stew rhubarb?

asked by @Sivee111 over 3 years ago
Profile_pic

I just dice it, toss it into a saucepan with some sugar to coat, a tiny pinch of salt, and a vanilla bean split lengthwise, and a tiny bit of water. Bring it up to a simmer. Reduce heat to lowest possible setting and simmer gently until it is the consistency you desire. Add more sugar or a little bit more water if necessary, tasting after it has simmered a bit.

You put the rhubarb in a saucepan/ pot, etc. with liquid and usually add a bunch of sugar, allowing it to cook down for a bit. Measurements will depend on how much rhubarb you have and what you're using it for. In my experience the cooking down process does not take very long.

Dsc03010

Rhubarb is a vegetable. At the risk of y'all accusing me of watching too much Paula Deen, allow me to assert that all vegetables taste better with butter and a pinch of salt.

If you want your stewed rhubarb to break down to the consistency of applesauce, slice it the way you'd slice celery for potato salad--very thinly. For every two cups of rhubarb, melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the rhubarb with a pinch of salt and saute until the rhubarb softens and has given up its juice. Add two tablespoons of granulated sugar and taste; add more sugar as desired, along with desired flavorings such as a couple dashes of cinnamon or some orange or lemon peel.

Serve alongside roasted chicken or pork or ham, or on top of poundcake or ice cream (or both).

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

If you want to keep your rhubarb pieces more intact: Make a simple syrup of 1 1/2 c sugar and 1 1/2 c water then simmer down until thick. Add 4 cups rhubarb cut in 3/4" pieces. Cook gently on medium until tender. Always yummy with a few handfuls of fresh strawberries tossed in right at the end.