A question about a recipe: Helen Getz’s Napa Cabbage with Hot Bacon Dressing

Salad_with_warm_bacon_dressing

I live in Europe (in London), and I'd love to make this recipe, as it sounds wonderful. However, I can't seem to find 'nappa cabbage' here- what would be a good replacement, do you think?

asked by Cassandra2011 over 3 years ago
Stonecutting_32

You can probably use regular green cabbage or savoy cabbage instead - it'll take a little longer to cook, but is a pretty close substitute.

Stonecutting_32

P.S. Given the choice between cabbage and savoy cabbage, I'd go with the Savoy it you can get it.

Many thanks, I can certainly get hold of Savoy cabbage here so will give it a go!

532719_3658538260807_1195156242_32905581_1657496368_n_2
added about 1 month ago

I think it's called "Chinese" cabbage in the UK, if I remember correctly. Baby bok choy would work, as would escarole.

added about 1 month ago

Savoy cabbage would work well, but so would plain, everyday cabbage. If you use regular cabbage, slice it much more finely than that in the recipe's photo. You could also use dandelion greens, escarole, frisee, or even romaine. My grandmother made a similar dressing that she used on lettuce as well as cabbage.

Flower-bee

You could also use the Dutch pointed cabbage. It has a very distinct pointed edge on one end and the leaves are less compact than traditional cabbage.

That would also be a good cabbage to use--do the Dutch have a version, too? It is one of the German passengers on the Slow Food Ark and its origins go back to the 1500s and Denkendorf Abbey, not too far from Stuttgart.

Open-uri20131025-3491-1e6gbf8

Look for "Chinese leaf" or "Chinese cabbage". It's also called "Hakusai" in Japanese.