🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

Has anyone used Starbucks VIA (instant coffee) for baking?

I don't have any espresso powder on hand for a brownie recipe. Would this work as a substitute?

asked by EmilyC over 3 years ago

It wont dissolve like freeze dried coffee as it is micrground but it should just add to the texture of the cake i haven't dried it personally but in cake mix it should be fine

I have a feeling that it's close in texture to Medaglia d'Oro, which I use all the time in baking and custards. Dissolve it in whatever your liquid is, and you should have a wonderful cake!

Roundbutton

I have, it is just like instant coffee, so if your recipe calls for coffee it is perfect. I use it all the time when i make Swedish Chocolate balls - http://delishhh.com/2010...

I use it as a pinch in brownies if I am out of espresso powder. I just grind it up a bit in a mortar and then add it to the dry ingredients - and use the same amount as espresso powder.

I've used in in a chocolate cake when I had a free sample floating around the kitchen and it works great substituted 1:1 for espresso powder, in place of folgers coffee crystals (which I use sometimes) Via imparts a more intense coffee flavour.

Thanks for your responses! I used the French Roast in place of espresso powder in brownies and it worked great! One package of VIA measures out to approximately 1 teaspoon. (And if anyone is looking for a great brownie recipe, these from King Arthur Flour are killer: http://www.kingarthurflour...)