A question about a recipe: Louisa's Cake

032211f_288

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Louisa's Cake" from SML Office. It says:

"Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and the sides start to pull away from the pan."

In my oven, this needed to bake for 45 minutes. Has anyone else seen this variation in cooking times?

asked by labingha over 3 years ago

My husband tried it tonight for dinner and his cooking time was again, 25 minutes. Do you have an oven thermometer? Curious if others have baking time variations. Please let me know!

Ovens vary a great deal and an oven thermometer is a good investment of you take up baking. Knew an Army-trained cook once and the first thing he did when he got to a new kitchen was make biscuits. They'd trained him to calculate the real temperature based on how the biscuits cook.

Pagan_trip_cc

I made this today and also had to leave it in my oven for 45 minutes. My oven is somewhat basic and we are just getting to know each other. I've ordered an oven thermometer but until this arrives, I've been adjusting the temperature up to compensate. Regardless of the increased time, the cake was fantastic! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. :-)

I just did it tonight and baked it for 30 minutes. The center could have used a few more minutes, I thought (it was more pudding-like than cake-like), the outside was pretty well-done and might have been tough had it baked longer. I found it to be an "okay" cake, but not something I'd necessarily repeat, since it had very little flavor and the texture was a little weird.

Mine's in the oven now and it will be 45 mins. Had to tent it for what looks like the last 15 mins.

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet