🔎

An unusual question about poaching eggs

So we're having a brunch tomorrow for 8 adults and 4 kids. I wasn't sure what to make until I was walking through the farmer's market and saw the egg pictured below. Voila! I'll make Eggs Benedict served family-style.

Just one question -- how long do you think I should poach this egg?

Photo
Sunshine-small
TiggyBee added about 3 years ago

I'll put a call into my Uncle, the ostrich farmer and get back to you,

Sam1148 added about 3 years ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Do you have a bathtub in the kitchen?

As a side note, I did a 'caveman' party once. Smoked turkey legs, fiddle head ferns, and a Roc egg. Separate the whites from yokes of a dozen eggs. Beat the yokes, round bowl and line with plastic wrap, steam until set. Fry the white in a big non-stick pan. Slide it out, top with the yoke...some paprika and zartaar. Serve with toast points.

Sunflower_profile
Burnt Offerings added about 3 years ago

Sam1148 - that's brilliant.

Peter - you BETTER post a "Caveman Brunch" recipe for this one with photos please!

Sunflower_profile
Burnt Offerings added about 3 years ago

I just noticed the price! $30??? And it would appear 2/3rds of that is for the shell (which presumably you're going to break). 2 dozen eggs for a dozen people - even organic eggs - in Manhattan - have to be <$12 - right?

Sam1148 added about 3 years ago

I had a friend that used to make those decorated egg, jewelry box things. And those shells are tough! Hey, you could boil it to soft boil, and set it upright in a big egg cup and use a dremell tool to wack off the top and give everyone spoons. Or better year, set it on a fondue burner and give every one toast cubes and fondue forks.

Sam1148 added about 3 years ago

036

Ask Merrill - she just got back from Africa, surely she took an ostrich egg poaching class or something?

Buddhacat
SKK added about 3 years ago

Let's do the math - if one ostrich egg = 2 dozen eggs, and it takes x minutes to poach one regular egg, let's multiple that time by 12. My question is, what are you going to poach it in? Please take photos of this endeavour and share them with us.
MrsHenry has a bathtub in her kitchen and asked just this a.m. what to do with it. You could poach the egg in her tub, possibly.

Sunflower_profile
Burnt Offerings added about 3 years ago

Do you have a Hot Tub? ;-)

Well, you should be able to make a great hollandaise with that monster. I have a couple of goose eggs hanging around that I've been using in Asian style dishes.

52
pauljoseph added about 3 years ago

99 Make an Indian style Egg Omelet curry do you want the recipe?

innoabrd added about 3 years ago

FWIW, my favorite South African cookbook says it is the equivalent of two-dozen chicken eggs. They recommend an omelette...

Scan0004
susan g added about 3 years ago

PaulJoseph, please post recipe!