🔔

less than a minute ago

Marian Bull favorited

Gjkzf-2lgbfx7qeia0tfjdhf9zhi7k6m3g1zcflqp16i_yjflqpzzcnyqgvsazhwy59fk9c_tuykwi9whqojra=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Kbxii8nr_pdq9rtycocxmvj4vaggtbj_a2cidi63ddwnvcl9p2irw5ye3moumv3kvuoclmtptcu6sujzow1v=s265-c

Porcelain Enamelware Cups

Us0v_xjpqqsc3--0qtkgjhkkx4jv11wq1cb8-o2ofj0labodtpjdbmbulls6thvatwr43qdcm9sxqovgpi73=s265-c

Sankaku Japanese Bandana

Cutgalette2

Slab Galette with Swiss Chard and Gruyère

🔎

An unusual question about poaching eggs

Photo

So we're having a brunch tomorrow for 8 adults and 4 kids. I wasn't sure what to make until I was walking through the farmer's market and saw the egg pictured below. Voila! I'll make Eggs Benedict served family-style.

Just one question -- how long do you think I should poach this egg?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I'll put a call into my Uncle, the ostrich farmer and get back to you,

Burnt_offering

Sam1148 - that's brilliant.

Peter - you BETTER post a "Caveman Brunch" recipe for this one with photos please!

Burnt_offering

I just noticed the price! $30??? And it would appear 2/3rds of that is for the shell (which presumably you're going to break). 2 dozen eggs for a dozen people - even organic eggs - in Manhattan - have to be <$12 - right?

I had a friend that used to make those decorated egg, jewelry box things. And those shells are tough! Hey, you could boil it to soft boil, and set it upright in a big egg cup and use a dremell tool to wack off the top and give everyone spoons. Or better year, set it on a fondue burner and give every one toast cubes and fondue forks.

036

Ask Merrill - she just got back from Africa, surely she took an ostrich egg poaching class or something?

Buddhacat

Let's do the math - if one ostrich egg = 2 dozen eggs, and it takes x minutes to poach one regular egg, let's multiple that time by 12. My question is, what are you going to poach it in? Please take photos of this endeavour and share them with us.
MrsHenry has a bathtub in her kitchen and asked just this a.m. what to do with it. You could poach the egg in her tub, possibly.

Burnt_offering

Do you have a Hot Tub? ;-)

Well, you should be able to make a great hollandaise with that monster. I have a couple of goose eggs hanging around that I've been using in Asian style dishes.

52

Make an Indian style Egg Omelet curry do you want the recipe?

99

FWIW, my favorite South African cookbook says it is the equivalent of two-dozen chicken eggs. They recommend an omelette...

Scan0004

PaulJoseph, please post recipe!