🔎

I want to make thick hot cocoa like they sell in Italian cafes. Any idea what they call those paddle-driven cocoa machines?

Also, they seem to be only for sale in Europe - any idea where I can get one in the US?

Chocolate-shot
Instagram1

I know exactly what you mean. Let me make a phone call and I'll let you know here.

A friend is working on tracking down the name of the machine. What might be more practical for you at home is to get the kind of chocolate typically used. It's called Sipping Chocolate, and comes in many flavor combinations. Good cookware stores usually carry it. You can find some info here: http://www.caffedamore..., and you can order it here: http://www.amazon.com/Bellagio...

Instagram1
sstiavetti added about 3 years ago

Hey thanks! I remember the bag from one of the cafes I visited - the brand of chocolate they use was called "Choc-issimo" but again, I can't find it anywhere in the US.

Looking forward to your reply with the name of the machine. :)

The Bellagio brand is very good. I'll pass along the name of the machine as soon as I can. I'll be in the store that uses it on Monday. Happy sipping!

ATG117 added about 3 years ago

I think the trick to that decadently thick hot chocolate is good chocolate (valrhona perhaps) and heavy cream. You could then add vanilla, spices, and maybe some milk to cut the richness of the cream. Not sure you need a special machine to get the effect.

Instagram1
sstiavetti added about 3 years ago

Actually, I'd love to develop my own recipe. That's stage 2. :) The machine's purpose is to constantly move and heat the cocoa so that it doesn't develop a skin on top while you prepare and serve it.