I've got a bottle of Verjus that I want to test drive. Any great recipes in this amazing community that you might recommend?

asked by TheWimpyVegetarian almost 4 years ago
Dsc03010

I don't have a formal recipe. If it's red, use it as you would a red wine, like for vinegar and oil on arugula or to deglaze a pot of beef for bourguignon; if it's white, a beurre blanc for chicken is nice. Taste it--let your palate decide if it's more like vinegar or grape juice, then go from there. People will never guess what that "something different" is.

Sometime in the 90s, I found a recipe for homemade verjus that I never got around to making because it called for an ungodly amount of Armagnac--I didn't want to spend that much money on something I wasn't confident with. Plus, the measurments were in dL and kg and I didn't feel like bothering with US equivalents. I purged the recipe from my binder a while back. If I remember where the recipe came from, I'll pass it along.

Me

Thanks so much betteirene! You've given me some good direction here.

Ozoz_profile

This weekend was in the UK and SEARCHED for verjuice (as they called it to no avail). Anyhow, you can use it to flavour sauces, gravies, casseroles, grilled veggies by splashing a tablespoon or two before serving, you could use it to make a a vinagrette or in homemade mayo. Apparently the flavour goes great with game - used to deglaze the pan in place of wine/sherry or port. Add a splash when poaching fish or poultry.

Me

Great ideas KB! I'm making ketchup right now from a bunch of tomatoes from a local farmer and added some verjus to the mix. NOT a great tomato season here due to a cold summer in our area, but they're great for ketcup!

From Our Friends
powered by ZergNet