I'm making pork joint tonight, what can I do to make it fabulous?

asked by @Katie_KitKat over 3 years ago
036

How are you cooking it? Do you have a base plan that you want to expand on? I would troll through some recipes on this site and go for what appeals most to your particular taste. And drink a nice bottle of wine :-)

Porchetta would be a good start. Pork likes fennel---a lot. Fennel seed, fennel pollen, fennel fronds. It likes rosemary too, just not as much.

2011-03-07_18-28-41_870

My mother always did her pork roast with lots of fresh crushed garlic, caraway seeds, and a generous amount of salt. It's delicious!

Scplogoblog

Check out recipes for pulled pork, which I think is best when made from shoulder (joint). My favorite is to mix a few tablespoons herbs de provence, sea salt and pepper with some nice olive oil and rub it into the meat. Put the meat into an enamel pot (or at least something heavy and with a lid) and cook in a low oven (250-300) until it falls apart when touched (this will depend on the size of your joint). You can also rest the meat on a layer of chopped vegetables (e.g., sliced onions, carrots and potatoes).

Burnt_offering

I made some pork loin chops the other night. I marinated them in some EVOO, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, and Meyer Lemon Juice, and then pan fried them briefly before finishing them in the oven. While they were resting, I made a pan sauce from the pan juices by adding a few splashes of white wine, the juice and zest of a Meyer lemon, and some fresh rosemary, let it reduce until thick, and then mounted a few tablespoons of butter in the sauce.