What's the best brand of sea salt?

asked by KelseyTheNaptimeChef almost 5 years ago
E29013c2-3e90-48ab-b297-41e445e1e562.sunshine-small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I second the vote for Maldon. Something about the particular composition of the salt flakes makes them into very thin, hollow, angular pyramids. This gives a huge surface area with comparatively little actual salt. This, in turn, leads to great visual appeal, mouthfeel, and crunch without over-salting your food.

By the way, Maldon also makes a smoked version of their salt. Upon smelling it I purchased it with great excitement... but found the smoke component of the flavor to be so scant that if you didn't know it was there you'd miss it.

Eb515e78-7387-4e72-b91d-acfa26b55b99.default-full

Depends on what your looking for.

A7493711-cff5-445b-aba3-7f8fd1c12b47

added about 1 month ago

Best in flavor, texture, color? Some are crystallized and need a grinder, some flaky, some granular. there's white, grey, black, red. For flavor & finishing, I like both Maldon and sel de guerande, But you might not. A side benefit in popularized sea salts is sampling sets with 4-8 varieties from around the world. If you don't have a favorite or two, work your way through one of these sets, then buy individual packages of the one(d) you like.

D4bb8500-a3be-4577-b992-6f896286c8e2.spoon
added about 1 month ago

As a finishing salt, Maldon is my favorite.

For regular use in my kitchen to add as an ingredient to recipes, I use RealSalt. It's non-iodized and still contains all the other trace minerals salts normally have - meaning it's not just sodium chloride and iodine. Supposedly healthier? I don't know, but I like the way it tastes and and I like the size of the granules (although it comes in two different sizes).