🔔
🔎

Can I substitute 1 cup of almond meal for 1 cup of whole almonds that the recipe asks me to blanch and grind in the food processor?

asked by thebaker over 3 years ago
5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

Yes, though I'd probably use slightly less of the almond meal, maybe 3/4 cup. It's finer than what you'd be able to grind in your food processor and may change the texture of your recipe slightly, depending on what you're making. This type of substitution works best in baked goods, such as muffins, cookies, cakes, or breads. If you're making something such as palline di cioccolato, almond meal is going to give you a significantly different result and I wouldn't make the substitution. (I tried that once and the palline ended up rather dense and floury.)

Wholefoods_user_icon

I'd do it by weight rather than volume. The chart that comes with my scale says a cup of whole almonds weighs 5 oz. My bag of almond meal says a 1/4 cup of almond meal weighs 1 oz. So like Syronai says you will need to use less almond meal than whole almonds - about 4/5th of a cup.

Thank you both for the helpful answers! I now feel much better about making my cake ;)

"I'd do it by weight rather than volume...So like Syronai says you will need to use less almond meal than whole almonds - about 4/5th of a cup." Great idea re the weighing. When I do the math though, I think I get 5/4th, not 4/5th...?