🔎

• 12

• 1985

3-bizcard

I have found corn starch to be very sensitive. If you cook too long it doesn't thicken. Could you have had it on the heat too long?

Gator_cake

The technique used for that pudding doesn't lend itself to cornstarch. Tapioca starch has the ability to thicken quickly at a relatively low temperature, cornstarch does not.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

As far as I know, you need 2x as much tapioca flour as corn starch to thicken. So maybe it wasn't hot enough. Probably would have thickened nicely on the stove top.

Heat and cornstarch are indeed your problems. It gelatinizes at 185 degrees, but must be cooked to a boil over direct heat (duh, obviously) to remove the starchy flavor. I think this pudding is intended to give you a lovely dessert more quickly and with less fuss.

SugarDumplin' added about 3 years ago

Thanks for you help! I'll try this again (without substitutions!). But all in all this experience turned out well...I was able to make ic cream with my "mistake" batch. :)

SugarDumplin' added about 3 years ago

Thanks for your help! I'll try this again (without substitutions!). But all in all this experience turned out well...I was able to make ice cream with my "mistake" batch. :)

It's all a science experiment!

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Thanks for all of the helpful answers -- I sent an email to Alex Talbott, one of the authors of the recipe, to ask him if he had any thoughts. Will let you know!

Aki Kamozawa and H. Alexander Talbot are the founders of the culinary consulting business Ideas in Food.

the reason we use tapioca starch in our blender puddings is that it hydrates and gelantinizes at 70C while cornstarch does the same at 90+C. so in the case above the cornstarch would not be doing anything the thickening would be coming from the cooked egg yolk and the chocolate, enough to make the mixture thick for ice cream but not for pudding.

Mrs._larkin_370

Ah, so making a blender pudding like this one would only work if you're using tapioca flour, since the mixture never gets super hot like in a traditional stove-top pudding. I love food science!!

BlueCat added about 3 years ago

Are tapioca flour and tapioca starch interchangeable in this recipe? I noticed that the recipe calls for flour, but ideasinfood refers to starch in their answer above.

Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

BlueCat -- yes, they're the same.