🔎

• 8

• 3332

Dessert to follow Mac and Cheese

I'm going to dinner at a friend's house tomorrow and volunteered to provide dessert. Problem is, the main course is mac and cheese. I need an idea for a dessert that's not rich, but still feels special.

Sandwich1
PoorGirlRichFood added about 3 years ago

This dessert works well if you don't have to travel far and is delicious and light.

Buy a container (or two) of coconut sorbet (Haagen Dazs makes one) and some berries (whatever ones you can find for a good price). Let the sorbet melt just a little bit and mix the berries into the sorbet, put it into small bowls and re-freeze.

Buddhacat
SKK added about 3 years ago

Sandy Smith's Lemon Basil Sherbert from this site - it is incredible

CazHill added about 3 years ago

In my mind mac and cheese is a wonderful laid back meal. You can spice it up, but mac and cheese no matter how it is dished up will always be a favorite "comfort food" for me. With that in mind, I would think about a classic fruity dessert. Strawberry short cake comes to mind. Along with great flavor, it will bring a splash of color to the table!

Sandwich1
rroseperry added about 3 years ago

Sorbet sound like a great idea. There's still a lot of citrus in the stores here (California) so I could make a Meyer lemon sorbet pretty easily. I'll also check that Lemon Basil Sherbet recipe, but there are a couple of picky (that is unadventurous) eaters at the table.

Thanks!

Sandwich1
rroseperry added about 3 years ago

Oh and the strawberry shortcake suggestion is good too. Great to have choices.

Junechamp

Poached Pears with chocolate sauce (or a reduction sauce of whatever you poach the pears in) is easy, tasty, and not at all heavy.

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

I agree with cazcancook's comfort food/fruit dessert suggestion and I think apple pie would be a nice dessert.

FunkyLady added about 3 years ago

Angel Pie - make a shortbread cake batter, pour in bottom of 9" round pan (should only be a thin layer), make a meringue (egg whites, cream of tartar whipped to soft peaks), pour over shortbread batter and bake at 350 until golden brown. Meanwhile make a lemon curd and some whipped cream. When cake cools spread lemon curd over meringue and then the whipped cream over that. So delicious and even though it's not very healthy it is very light. I think the citrus will complement the mac and cheese because it will cut the richness...
I will post the actual recipe soon