50 FAVORITES UNDER $50 (TALK ABOUT A WIN-WIN). SHOP NOW »

A question about a recipe: Mama's Morels Fried in Butter

1a988b34 9b53 4f72 b752 dd10b32dbf4a  2015 0427 fried morels mark weinberg 0537

I did a preliminary run of the local groceries in princeton, NJ.. (wegmans & whole foods), all that they have right now is dried morels? will these work? and how much of the dried ones would I need to get the equivalent of the fresh ones?, better yet? can anyone guide me to where I cd find fresh ones.. so if I can't get them I don't want to hold up on anyone with access to these to try this awesome sounding recipe!

asked by Panfusine about 5 years ago
0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a Test Kitchen Manager at Food52

Unfortunately, dried morels will probably not work. You'd have to rehydrate them which can complicate texture and the frying process.

We get our morels at local farm stands or farmer's markets from foragers. If not there, I would check smaller markets.

In Kansas, where I'm from, we start getting them in Early April through May. My mom says they should show up once "An oak leave is as big as a squirrel's ear", though I'm guessing that's not very precise :)

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Oh dear... I'm going to have to wait to leave my testing notes with the comments.. I hope its not too late to get some one else to test this & give the recipe the appreciation it deserves. the minute I saw your options of spices & seasoning I went berserk with delight..
Let me write a note to the editors...
Thanks! -Panfusine