🔎

• 9

• 721

Tat soi: I bought some today at an Asian farmers' market. I've never cooked with it (or even tasted it). Ideas, anyone? Many thanks. ;o)

New_years_kitchen_hlc_only
Gator_cake

Flavor wise it's like a mild mustard green. You can use it raw in salads or cooked.

amysarah added almost 3 years ago

It has a strong, pungent flavor. I've only ever had it in salads, never cooked. Very tasty, if you like sharp greens. From what I'm told, it's loaded with nutrients too.

I miss the Bay Area!

TiggyBee added almost 3 years ago

It's plentiful here where I live and really nice stirred into some brown rice and wilted (with some soy sauce, etc, let your imagination flow) also makes a really nice salad green, as hardlikearmour mentioned. Hope this helps AJ!!

Gator_cake

Also, just taste a bit and see what you think! You may know exactly what you want to do with it.

Sam1148 added almost 3 years ago

Sauteed. (think of it like mustard of collard green)..with a cleanly brighter flavor. With some good sweet onions, leeks, or valadila, or spring onions.

Top with Braised Pork belly slices. Crisped up, or Pancetta ham.

Toss the greens with either a touch of rice wine vinegar, or southern style 'pepper sauce' (peppers in white vinegar). (or the vinegar heated in a microwave with red pepper flakes). A bit of fried onions, or sunflower seeds, or pine nuts for extra textures.

You can sub good thick bacon for the meat element. Or fried tofu (Firm drained; Matchstick cut; tossed in cornstarch fried crispy) and or sauteed mushrooms for vegie dish.

Chris_in_oslo

It would not surprise me if you've already eaten tat soi--it's a reasonably common component to salad greens mixes. I think that amysarah is right, that it's most often eaten in salads, but you can add it to soups or quickly stir fry or sauté it a well.

Dsc_0048b
healthierkitchen added almost 3 years ago

This soba noodle salad is terrific. I am actually growing some this spring (pretty easy!) to use with soba!

Mrs._larkin_370

Mrs. Larkin is a trusted source on Baking.

It's so delicious. But I always seem to eat it all before actually trying to cook with it. It's usually gone by the time I'm home from the farmers market (and I live 5 houses away.) GREAT in salads.