Chives substitute??

Doing a smoked trout salad with creme fraiche on crostini. Alas all the chives are sold out! Can I use the green parts of scallions? Other suggestions?

asked by Cfrancke over 3 years ago
Tad_and_amanda_in_the_kitchen

Absolutely -- that would work very well. If you have a shallot, a minced shallot would also work.

Dsc_3783

Thank you!! Sorry for double question- tried you on twitter too! First time pickler :)

Farmer's_market

Minced scallion is fine - but use more sparingly than chives as it has a stronger and could overpower the delicate taste of the trout.

Farmer's_market

Oops - stronger flavor. If that wasn't obvious - too fast on the 'submit answer' finger ;)

Kay_at_lake

Grated shallot works too, but be sparing with it!

I just want to put in a plug for growing chives--they've always been petty productive for me in New York, Iowa, and Northern California, and given that you usually use a couple snips at a time it works out well as a pot herb.

Kay_at_lake

Absolutely. And mine came back this spring, from last year!

Farmer's_market

Ditto about growing chives. I've had a pot for years that just keeps coming back - we joke that it's a science fiction plant, because even I can't kill it (I have the opposite of a green thumb - he thumb of death?) It's a blessing, because I love chives and even a small bunch is ridiculously expensive at the market.

Junechamp

Shallots would work, but wouldn't give you the pretty green I'm guessing you'd prefer. Be sure to chop those scallion tops really fine, and go easy on them. If you have any fennel in your crisper, the fornds make a green and light tasting garnish. I use them a lot with fish.

Wholefoods_user_icon

It is spring and at least in the Washington Dc area we have millions of wild onion sprouts all over. they have a chive like flavor and are completely edible. just don't forrage for them where people walk their dogs....eww
they look just like chives.